Logo

Steelers Sign Run-Stopping Beast to Bolster Defense, by Adam Schefter

 

Pittsburgh, PA — September 17, 2025 — In a move to shore up their beleaguered defense amid a rash of injuries, the Pittsburgh Steelers have reached an agreement to sign veteran linebacker Ja'Whaun Bentley to their practice squad. According to multiple sources, including ESPN's Adam Schefter, Bentley is currently undergoing a physical examination and measurements as part of the finalization process, with the team hopeful to have him integrated quickly ahead of their Week 3 matchup against the New England Patriots.

The 29-year-old Bentley, who spent seven seasons with the Patriots before being released in March 2025 due to a season-ending pectoral injury in 2024, brings a wealth of experience to Pittsburgh. A four-time team captain in New England, Bentley has appeared in 83 career games, starting 67, and amassed an impressive 509 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 21 tackles for loss, and two interceptions. His run-stuffing prowess, evidenced by three straight seasons of over 100 tackles from 2021 to 2023, makes him an ideal fit for the Steelers' struggling run defense, which has allowed 117 yards to the Seahawks and 182 to the Jets in the first two weeks.
Article image


https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1968101062029742239

This signing comes at a critical time for Pittsburgh, whose defense has been decimated by injuries. Linebacker Patrick Queen is dealing with a rib injury that may sideline him for the upcoming game, while outside linebacker Alex Highsmith (ankle), defensive tackle Isaiahh Loudermilk (ankle), cornerback Joey Porter Jr. (hamstring), and safety DeShon Elliott (knee) are also banged up. Rookie defensive tackle Derrick Harmon remains sidelined with a knee sprain from preseason. The Steelers have surrendered 31 or more points in both of their opening games for the first time since Mike Tomlin became head coach in 2007, prompting urgent reinforcements.

Bentley, who joins former Patriots teammate Jabrill Peppers (signed last week), visited the Steelers' facility on Tuesday for workouts and discussions. The physical and measurements are standard procedures to ensure Bentley's recovery from his 2024 injury is complete and that he meets the team's conditioning standards. If cleared, he could provide immediate depth at inside linebacker behind Payton Wilson and Elandon Roberts, potentially earning a promotion to the active roster if needed.

Head coach Mike Tomlin has emphasized the need for veteran presence to stabilize the unit. "We're building a tough, physical defense, and additions like this help us get there," Tomlin said in a brief statement. Fans on social media have reacted positively, with many excited about Bentley's potential to "smash the run" – a mantra the Steelers have struggled to live up to lately.

As the Steelers prepare to face Bentley's former team, the Patriots, on Sunday at Gillette Stadium, this agreement could prove pivotal. With the AFC North race heating up, Pittsburgh cannot afford further defensive lapses. Bentley's integration, pending the physical results, represents a proactive step toward reclaiming their identity as a dominant "Steel Curtain" defense.

Comments (0)

Loading comments...

Chiefs’ Chris Jones Blasts Eagles’ Tush Push as ‘Garbage,’ Sends Warning to Jalen Hurts"
September 17, 2025, KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The controversy surrounding the Philadelphia Eagles’ notorious “tush push” isn’t fading anytime soon. Following the Eagles’ successful use of the play in their Super Bowl rematch against the Kansas City Chiefs, star defensive tackle Chris Jones unleashed a fiery critique in his postgame remarks. Jones vented his frustration, claiming the Eagles’ guards, Landon Dickerson and Tyler Steen, jumped early before the snap on a pivotal one-yard touchdown. “We think he jumped multiple times. An official missed it, so no flag,” he said, his voice laced with irritation. He argued the play’s unfairness, stating, “You can’t get all the calls right. With officials 15, 20 feet away, they miss the small stuff. The tush push is trash, and the lack of a flag proves there’s favoritism at play.” The Chiefs’ defender’s outburst intensified the ongoing debate about the play, which several NFL figures have pushed to ban. Former officiating VP Dean Blandino echoed Jones, admitting he’s “done” with the tush push due to its inconsistent officiating challenges. Tensions boiled over when hot mics captured a heated exchange between Jones and Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts after the game. Jones raged about what he saw as biased refereeing, while Hurts remained unfazed, replying, “All that mattered was the win,” focusing on the 20-17 victory. The defeat left Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs at 0-2 for the first time in his career, fueling locker room frustration. With scrutiny on officiating mounting and calls for reform growing, the NFL might face pressure to reconsider the tush push’s legality in 2026. Based on reports from Chiefs’ media and team statements.

Latest Posts